COVID-19, and the related travel restrictions, have had a significant impact on tourism businesses in Nova Scotia and around the world. Tourism Nova Scotia is offering training and information to support tourism businesses and organizations adapt to the evolving tourism environment, enhance quality and competitiveness, and prepare to welcome visitors when the time is right.
This webinar series offers practical information you can use to steer your business through COVID-19 and then rebuild and recover following the pandemic.
See below for upcoming webinars. These will be updated as more webinars are confirmed. Videos of any recorded webinars will be added here as they are available.
If you want to be notified about upcoming webinars, subscribe to the inTouch newsletter.
Check back soon or subscribe to the InTouch newsletter to find out about upcoming webinars.
E-Commerce: Adding Shopify To Your Website to Maximize Sales
Online shopping is by no means new, but during the COVID-19 many consumers are increasingly seeking ways to shop online or access takeout and delivery services. It’s even more important now to offer your customers an option to make purchases through your website. Join Tourism Nova Scotia for a webinar delivered by Digital Nova Scotia and Able Sense on how you can use Shopify as an e-commerce tool.
In this webinar, Able Sense will:
instruct businesses not currently selling online on how Shopify works and how they can implement it in their own businesses
provide examples of how local businesses, reliant on foot traffic, have adapted to sell their product online to stay connected to their customer-base
outline the services they offer to integrate Shopify into your business as one option for e-commerce
You can also read the recap of the presentation by Able Sense.
Top 5 Free or Low-Cost Ways to Get Your Online Presence In Order
Join Tourism Nova Scotia for a webinar delivered by Digital Nova Scotia and Alison Knott from Alison K Consulting. There’s plenty of low-hanging fruit to be had in getting your online presence in order. Jargon free and stuffed full tips! This session will leave you with a clear understanding of which tactics are best for your business and how to take immediate action. The tactics we will be reviewing are:
- Google My Business
- Google Analytics
- Social Media Automation
- Website Auditing
Find additional resources from Alison Knott at https://alisonkconsulting.com/TNS/
Ramping Up as The Curve Flattens: Adapting Your Business and Staff to Customer Expectations
Join Tourism Nova Scotia for a webinar delivered by Eva Gutsche from STEM Consulting on connecting with customers and adapting your business to the changes in the travel industry as a result of COVID-19. Eva Gutsche is familiar to the tourism industry in Atlantic Canada as a facilitator of the Travel Trade Market Readiness Program.
In this webinar STEM Consulting will:
- examine how to connect with customers and business associates now and until the pandemic is resolved
- use industry examples and case studies to demonstrate creative ways to engage potential customers in an appropriate way
- discuss how to address difficult conversations and review cancellation policies for your business
- discuss easing back into business – what the back to business phase could look like for both:
- post COVID-19 consumer product / service expectations, and
- business practices to protect the health and safety of customers and staff
- explore potential business levels based on research and forecasts (3-year view)
- summarize market expectations in the shorter-term
Building Connection with Your Customers Through Social Media – Part 1
Tourism Nova Scotia and Digital Nova Scotia invite you to join a webinar delivered by word-craft on social media during the COVID-19 pandemic. Social media is one of the best ways to connect with people who are already interested in your business. It’s also vital for reaching people who haven’t heard about your business yet. Whether you’re just getting started or already have social media accounts for your tourism business, this will help you get to the next level to connect with your customers.
In this webinar, word-craft will discuss:
- Creating goals for social media
- Creating a content calendar
- What to post where, and when to post it
SEO: Why Search Engine Optimization is More Important Than Ever
Join Tourism Nova Scotia and Digital Nova Scotia for a webinar delivered by Michael MacMillan of MacMillan Search on search engine optimization (SEO).
In this webinar, Michael MacMillan will discuss:
- Keeping your clients informed and up to date from within the search results using your homepage's metadata and Google My Business
- Determining what types of keywords drove people to your site, and what is currently driving traffic (with strategies to maintain/improve positions) using Google Search Console
- Scheduling your content based on historical trends using Google Trends, and accounting for post-COVID search habit changes with Coronavirus Search Trends
To prepare for this webinar, we recommend that you set up your Google My Business and Google Analytics accounts, if you have not already done so. If you would like information about how to do that, check out the resources created by Alison Knott from Alison K Consulting to build on the previous webinar she presented for us on April 30. Find these resources at https://alisonkconsulting.com/TNS/.
Tip Sheet: Why SEO is More Important Than Ever
Sales Planning for COVID-19 Recovery
Join Tourism Nova Scotia for a webinar about how to develop your sales plan for post-COVID-19 recovery. This webinar is delivered by Eva Gutsche from STEM Consulting and special guest Emma Cashmore, Nova Scotia's in-market representative in the United Kingdom. Eva is familiar to many people in the Atlantic Canada’s tourism industry as a facilitator of the Travel Trade Market Readiness Program. Eva is offering her expertise to businesses and destination management organizations in several provinces to help industry prepare for COVID-19 recovery and attract new business through an effective sales strategy. This webinar will provide suggestions for a concrete action plan for any size business.
In this webinar Eva Gutsche will cover:
- Short-term sales focus - understanding what consumer demand may be following the pandemic
- Creating a short-term consumer marketing strategy for the recovery phase
- Planning for 2021 and beyond to attract local, regional, and international visitors
Tip Sheet: Sales Planning for COVID-19 Recovery
Resetting Your Marketing Strategy
Join Tourism Nova Scotia and our marketing agency of record, m5 Marketing and Communications, for a webinar on how to reset your marketing strategy in the wake of COVID-19. Now is the perfect time to reflect on your business and get strategic about your marketing plan. Heather Dalton, Executive VP, Operations at m5, will share six things you can work on now so you can come out swinging when the time is right.
In this webinar, Heather will cover:
• One hour marketing strategy
• Knowing your audience
• Evolving your 4 Ps: Product, Price, Promotion and Place
• Reducing risk through (quick) research
• Digital lead generation
• Defining your brand
Tip Sheet: Resetting Your Marketing Strategy
Templates referenced in presentation:
Promote Your Business or Community with Tourism Nova Scotia
Tourism Nova Scotia offers a variety of marketing opportunities to help tourism businesses and organizations reach potential visitors, including online business listings, social media, partnership programs, and advertising. Join Tourism Nova Scotia’s marketing team to learn how you can work with the provincial marketing organization to promote your business or community to travellers.
In this webinar, Michelle Sears, Digital Marketing Advisor, will cover:
- Creating and optimizing your business listing on NovaScotia.com
- Using stories, itineraries, and town/city pages to promote your community on NovaScotia.com
- Plugging in to Tourism Nova Scotia’s social media promotions
- Advertising opportunities
Building Connection with Your Customers Through Social Media – Part 2
Tourism Nova Scotia and Digital Nova Scotia invite you to join a webinar delivered by Ingrid Deon, Owner of word-craft on using social media to engage with your customers during the COVID-19 pandemic. Social media is one of the best ways to connect with people who are already interested in your business. It’s also vital for reaching people who haven’t heard about your business yet. Whether you’re just getting started or already have social media accounts for your tourism business, this will help you get to the next level to connect with your customers. This is the second social media webinar with Ingrid Deon in the Tourism Nova Scotia webinar series.
In this webinar, Ingrid Deon will discuss:
- How to engage with your followers
- Making sense of insights
- Boosting and targeting posts
Use New Tourism Nova Scotia Research to Tailor Your Experiences to Appeal to Regional Visitors
Join Tourism Nova Scotia to learn about tourism market insights to promote your business in the local and regional markets. Anna Moran, Director of Research and Policy will share the most recent research related to COVID-19 tourism recovery. Heather Yule, Manager of Experience Development, will share tips and tools to create compelling packages and experiences for regional travellers that differentiate Nova Scotia from other Maritime destinations.
In this webinar, Tourism Nova Scotia, will cover:
- Preliminary results from Tourism Nova Scotia research conducted with Maritime travellers.
- Consumer research conducted by Destination Canada.
- How to build on Nova Scotia’s competitive strengths and include unique assets that appeal to visitors to help grow your profile and attract customers.
- Steps to create experiences, from tips on selecting activities and partners for packages, to pricing and promotion, to help you develop the package that’s the best fit for your potential visitors and business now.
Tourism Nova Scotia 2020 Marketing Campaign Launch
Join Tourism Nova Scotia for a first look at our 2020 marketing campaign. Michele Saran, CEO, and Joann Fitzgerald, Chief Marketing Officer will share Tourism Nova Scotia’s marketing strategy to help drive tourism recovery and encourage travel throughout the province.
In this webinar, Tourism Nova Scotia will:
- Preview the marketing campaign for Nova Scotia
- Provide an overview of the 2020 marketing strategy
- Share how you can align your marketing efforts with Tourism Nova Scotia’s campaign
Choose the Right Marketing Channels to Reach Your Target Customers
Join Tourism Nova Scotia, and m5 Marketing Communications for an overview of the most effect media channels and marketing tactics to promote your business to Atlantic Canadians. Many of the most effective media channels are digital and easy to manage yourself.